A Complete Guide On What To Do Before Moving Out Of State
Checklist To Remember Everything That Needs To Happen Before You Move Out
Are you getting ready to move to another part of the country? You probably know there’s a lot that needs to be done before you hit the road. Most importantly, you’ll want to schedule Phoenix long-distance movers as far in advance as possible. Although moving to a new state may seem overwhelming, this simple checklist can help you remember everything that needs to happen!
Research Your New Town
Whether you’ve chosen your new city or your employer has chosen for you, it’s good to know a bit about it before you arrive. If possible, spend some time exploring and visiting before you choose a place to live. Taking long walks, popping into local restaurants, and visiting some of the town’s amenities are great ways to get a feel for your new town.
Research some of the different neighborhoods so you have a shorter list of places to check out when you get there. Consider your lifestyle, how far you are willing to commute, what activities your kids will want to participate in, and what type of neighborhood you’d like to live in. Because buying a new home can be a complicated process, it’s sometimes best to rent a storage unit and find temporary accommodations while you search for the perfect home.
Consider The Cost Of Living
Moving to a new state will bring plenty of changes, including the weather, food, and way of life. Many people forget to account for the cost of living. Before you finalize your move, make sure you understand how much it will cost to live in your new state. This includes housing, transportation, gas, utilities, groceries, healthcare, and more. Check into a tax or income calculator to understand how property, sales, and income tax in your new state will affect you.
Confirm Moving & Storage Arrangements
Planning will help relieve a lot of the stress of moving, but the most effective way to make the move itself easy is to hire Paradise Valley, a long-distance movers. Letting a professional handle the details and lifting will make the rest of your arrangements much less stressful. When you hire professional Fountain Hills long distances movers, you won’t have to worry about whether you’ve forgotten any details and can take it easy knowing that your belongings are being safely handled by experts.
As you pack, take time to sort through your possessions and purge what don’t need. This will save on moving expenses and make it faster to move into your new home. If you won’t be unloading directly into your new home, find some storage unit options so that everything will be ready once you can move into your new home.
Budget For Your Move
Don’t wait until the last minute to determine how much it will cost to move. To keep things straightforward, hire a Scottsdale moving company with a good reputation. Your employer may even pay for your moving expenses, which can include transporting your possessions and vehicle, moving supplies, and the cost of gas. You’ll also need to pay for food and lodging as you travel to your new home, disconnection and reconnection fees for utilities, and restocking your new home once you arrive.
Other Steps Once You’ve Arrived In Your New State
Once you get to your new home, there are plenty of details that will need your attention. These includes:
- Set up utilities: Make sure your home is ready when you arrive or consider staying at a hotel for the first few days until you can get things ready. You’ll want to have electricity, gas, water, sewer, garbage collection, cable, internet, and any other needs handled.
- Change Your Address: Forward your mail by filing out an online mail forwarding form with USPS. This will prevent lost letters or documents. Don’t forget to contact your insurance company, mobile phone providers, HR, bank and other financial institutions, and your friends and family and let them know your new address.
- Update Your Driver’s License: One of the first things to do when you move is to update your driver’s license and vehicle registration. Find out whether your MVD takes appointments or walk-ins and which documents you’ll need to bring with you.
- Register to Vote: You’ll need to register to vote in your new state. In many places, this can be done online. You may even be able to do it through the USPS or MVD. You’ll only be able to register to vote after you’ve updated your driver’s license and have proof of residency.
- Find a new doctor: Check your insurance company for information on which healthcare providers in your new area accept your insurance. Before you leave your old home, get copies of your medical records and any prescriptions. Because it can take some time to get records transferred electronically, it’s often easier to have paper copies for your new care providers.
- Update Insurance: You may need to find a new insurance agent after you move, but it’s also good to consider whether you have different insurance needs in your new climate.
Take the Hassle Out Of Your Long Distance Move With Our Trusted Moving Services!
Leo’s Moving provides reliable moving services throughout Phoenix and across the continental United States. We bring an old-school work ethic and pride in a good well done to each one of our customers. Let us give you the ultimate moving experience! Call us today for your free quote.
2942 N 24th St #114
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Phone: (480) 447-8821
Email: [email protected]